The Legal Assistant will be responsible for carrying out duties in a legal setting under the guidance of attorneys, including preparing legal applications, briefs, and documents, gathering evidence and proofs, conducting client interviews, and managing cases from start to finish. Assist attorneys in preparing for hearings and court proceedings. As a legal assistant candidate, you will be managing a large caseload consisting of a diversity of cases. Responsible for gathering documents and other information for court and government submissions. Candidates will be able to work closely with clients, to support staff, and attorneys. Candidate is also responsible for drafting and preparing legal correspondence, client declarations, and other documents. Coordinate with experts and witnesses, conduct research in support of clients’ claims. Candidate also will be responsible for staying up to date on court practices and filing instructions, maintaining well-organized physical and digital case files, manage all incoming and outgoing correspondence for his/her assigned cases and workspace and attend our weekly staff meetings.
- Minimum education required: 2-year Associate degree; or
- Minimum legal field experience required: 2 years
- US work authorization (Required)
- Required to sit for long periods of time.
- Infrequent light physical effort required
- In minimum occasions it may require driving own vehicle to various sites.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Communicate fluently and be competent in both English and Spanish (REQUIRED) (Skills to be rested at time of interview)
- Strong attention to detail,
- be a quick learner;
- handle confidential information, and sensitive materials and situations;
- work well under pressure and be able to meet multiple tight deadlines;
- have a professional demeanor and work well with others;
- demonstrate ability to work in a high stress and emotional environment, including working with difficult clients and diverse personalities;
- to prioritize tasks;
- Work independently;
- Collaborate with other legal assistants, paralegals and attorneys;
- Proficient knowledge, understanding, and ease of use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Excel, Word and data software;
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to communicate with senior level attorneys, partners, clients, opposing counsel, court personnel, firm staff, and others;
- Strong spelling and grammar skills to draft correspondence, reports, motions, arguments, enter data and others.
As a legal assistant, a professional appearance and polished demeanor are vital. Other traits necessary include:
- Share the Law Offices of Valencia and Diaz, Ltd’s “Why” (mission/purpose):
To defend, educate and empower minority groups and individuals to free them from oppression and injustice so that they can fulfil their true potential through permanency in the U.S. along with their family.
- Drive for growth and contribution to the community;
- Up to date with issues affecting the immigrant and minority groups;
- Ability and willingness to network;
- Respect for confidentiality and discretion;
- Attention to detail;
- Positive, upbeat attitude;
- Ability to dynamically multitask;
- Creativity and Innovation;