Under directive supervision in the field or shop, on a day or fixed schedule, assists employees of higher classification in the installation, construction, replacement and maintenance of the underground cable transmission and distribution system; performs such duties as:
1. Assisting cable splicers, and lowering tools and materials into manholes.
2. Preparing solder, tape, lead sleeves, splicing compounds, and other materials for use on cable splices.
3. Rigging block and tackle or handling skids for pulling in and removing cable, and handling cable reels. Also operating cable reel trailer.
4. Excavating and backfilling with hand or power-operated tools for tower footings, policies, guy anchors, conduit and cable trenches, pull boxes, manholes, vaults, and bases for street lighting or traffic standards.
5. Using hand or power operated tools and handling materials in close proximity to energized cables and equipment.
6. Assisting in the installation, construction, and erection of towers, poles, pull boxes, manholes, underground duct, conduit, URD cable systems, telecommunication cable systems, and gas lines; also installation and removal of cable, transformers, network protectors, and other equipment.
7. Assisting in the cleanup and disposal of toxic and nontoxic hazardous materials in accordance with Company and governmental guidelines; using appropriate personal protective equipment.
8. Operating burning torch for cutting metals.
9. Doing work when necessary from a ladder, platform, or bucket truck.
10. Doing work of a higher classification when preparing for advancement to a higher grade.
11. Performing other similar or less skilled work, as assigned
Must meet the Company's requirements as to GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS; and, in addition:
1. Must demonstrate the ability to work in confined areas.
2. Must have a general knowledge of cable practices, fittings, and materials used.
3. Must display a particular degree of carefulness for the preparation and handling of molten solder, compound, and other insulating and splicing materials.
4. Must have a general knowledge and aptitudes for the use of tools and equipment.
5. Must possess the necessary driver’s licenses.
6. Must pass examination into grade of Cable Helper including:
Read rules and perform additions and subtractions.
Working knowledge of duties of the Cable Helper.
Safety rules and practices
How to Apply
List: Candice Clement-McPhatter as a referral when applying