Salary Range: $34.07 - $35.44 Hourly
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Public Works Department
The City of Fairfield is announcing an open competitive exam to establish an Eligibility List for the position of Construction Inspector. The exam will be conducted on Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 9:00am at the Fairfield Community Arts Center, located at:
411 Wessel Drive, Fairfield, OH 45014
Persons in this position are responsible for monitoring and inspecting Public Works and Public Utilities projects and various private installations to assure compliance with City Code and Ohio Department of Transportation guidelines.
Requirements/Qualifications: General knowledge of materials, tools and methods used in construction work; ability to read and interpret blueprints, plans and specifications; high school diploma or GED. Must have a valid driver’s license and successfully complete the Civil Service Examination.
Scope of the written exam will be multiple-choice questions relative to qualification requirements. Calculators are permitted for use during the exam. A passing score of 70% is required to be included on the Eligibility List. In the event of a tie score, priority in ranking is determined by the date and time the application is received.
Please apply online at www.fairfield-city.org beginning Monday, November 14, 2022. Deadline for applications is December 11, 2022 by 11:59 pm. No Exceptions.
PHOTO ID IS REQUIRED AT TIME OF EXAM.
Probationary Period: 6 months
Pay Range: $34.07 – 35.44
For the Commission:
Emily Hodges, Secretary
Examples of Duties
Under general supervision, monitors and inspects Public Works and Public Utilities projects to assure compliance with City Code and Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) guidelines. Inspects various private installations for compliance with City standards.
- Physically inspects construction and project job sites; monitors and follows-up to assure adherence to City codes, ODOT guidelines and accepted standards for water, sewer and roadway construction as well as to review plans and specifications.
- Investigates complaints concerning construction projects within the City. Communicates effectively with citizens, contractors, engineers and public utility providers to resolve issues.
- Prepares daily activity reports of construction progress. Prepares and reviews project cost estimates. Modifies and updates documents, maps and drawings. Prepares and reviews memos, bids, monthly billings and reports.
- Coordinates necessary testing of construction materials with outside testing firms.
- Performs inspections on various private installations including new installations/repairs and to sanitary sewers, sanitary laterals, private water mains and water services. Also inspects concrete aprons, sidewalks and other private construction work as necessary for compliance with City standards.
- Assists with snow and ice operations as needed.
- Performs all duties in a safe manner per applicable Federal, State and local rules and regulations.
Knowledge of materials, tools and methods used in construction work; ability to read and interpret blueprints, plans and specifications; effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; high school diploma or GED; some experience with and knowledge of street construction and project management, sewer lines, water lines and general construction practices; successful completion of Civil Service Examination. Valid driver's license. Must obtain and maintain current certification as a Certified Public Infrastructure Inspector through the American Public Works Association (APWA).