Job ID: 4814 - Unclassified FT (Salaried)
Position is responsible for the planning, development, and execution of sustainability initiatives and for the promotion of environmentally and economically sustainable practices related to the services provided by the Physical Facilities Department (PFD). This will include collaboration between PFD staff and the wider university community including students, faculty and administrative staff. Takes lead role for project teams assigned sustainability projects or tasks. Works closely with the campus’ Sustainability Committee, academic department initiatives, and other University departments. Coordinates efforts to achieve the University’s Sustainability Commitments and Goals. This position will seek to broaden the PFD staff’s understanding of and sustainability related issues, practices and opportunities within our daily operations and their impact on longer term issues. The sustainability programs are expected to decrease energy consumption, measurably decrease Miami University’s impact on the environment, and integrate sustainability values and practices into Physical Facilities’ strategic planning, management of resources and operations, and facility planning and design. Position will primarily support the Oxford campus, but may be involved in sustainability and conservation efforts at other University facilities. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Sustainability Component – develops and recommends standards, policies, and ideas to promote sustainability efforts in coordination with superiors; identifies desirable sustainability initiatives and assesses their cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance within the University community; analyzes and reports the effectiveness and results of sustainability projects. Identifies and pursues grant funding, rebate programs, or other savings programs
- Planning – collaborates with decision-makers in various levels of facilities planning (e.g., master planning and individual project planning) ensuring sustainability standards are met; integrates future initiatives with planning process.
- Design and Construction – works closely with the division of Planning Architecture & Engineering and collaborates with project managers in the development and review of project designs and specifications related to energy conservation and sustainability practices. Assists with the LEED certification process.
- Communication/Marketing Component – Markets and promotes sustainability efforts through website maintenance, newsletters, promotional materials and/or publications, designing ads and flyers, and responding to inquiries. Serves on campus-wide committees representing Physical Facilities in a professional manner; develops educational programs and conducts training/workshops to promote environmental and financial stewardship. Seeks avenues to promote the University’s efforts within the higher education industry
- OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.
Education/Experience – bachelor’s degree in a related field plus a minimum of 3 years full-time experience managing sustainability initiatives; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Skills & Knowledge – thorough knowledge of sustainability issues and best practices; strong interpersonal, communication, and political skills required
Attention to Detail - ability to accurately report on savings and successes; requires strong analytical skills
Communication Skills - ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons; ability to build effective partnerships and market ideas
Managerial Complexity – must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of upper-management
Computer Skills – must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs
How to Apply