Summary: Closes and locks or unlocks and opens parks or park buildings at established times, clears visitors from parks in a polite and courteous manner, checks and secures facilities and structures owned and operated by MetroParks as assigned. Monitors public use of parks or facilities as assigned.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Takes appropriate action in response to violations of law and park rules committed in his/her presence, including writing violations and arresting individuals if necessary.
- Provides armed security as assigned to transport funds.
- Reports all problems, safety issues, and incidents requiring investigation to on-duty Ranger or the Lieutenant as instructed.
- Assists with security, traffic, parking and crowd control for special events and programs as assigned.
- Serves as a secure courier to facilitate interoffice mail, packages, and correspondence between parks and the administrative office.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to meet and deal with the public in a professional, helpful, and pleasant manner. Serves as a goodwill ambassador for MetroParks of Butler County at all times.
- Ability to follow all policies in the MetroParks Personnel Manual, Employee Safety Manual, and Ranger Policy Manual. Follows instructions and orders of supervisors and Rangers. Follows all post orders, directives, and other instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive issues, privileged information, and nonpublic records.
- Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; minimum of 21 years of age at the time of employment.
- Possess OPOTA Basic Police officer certification at the time of employment and thereafter. Ability to carry, handle and qualify with assigned or authorized firearms and enforce applicable laws and park rules according to and with competent knowledge.
- Ability to deal tactfully with the general public and co-workers as well as the ability to communicate effectively with fellow employees and the visiting public; general good health and ability to perform the tasks required of this position during all seasons of the year. Must possess the ability to effectively and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Availability for a flexible work schedule and ability to work independently and take initiative when required.
- Good character with no felony or domestic violence convictions or history of theft offenses. Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm by any rule, law, bylaw or ordinance.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
- Ability to successfully complete a background check to include a polygraph/cvsa and credit check. Must pass a drug screening to detect the use and/or presence of illegal substances. Must pass psychological evaluation.
Work Environment & Schedule:
Employment in this position is part time and may require an irregular work schedule, including weekends and holidays, depending on the season of the year or as conditions warrant.
Physical effort usually requires considerable walking, standing, bending, twisting, pushing and pulling, with some lifting of materials weighing 25 to 50 pounds. This employee is required to stay in a stationary position, to traverse, in interior and exterior, improved, and unimproved surfaces and to converse effectively. Tolerance of somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to exposure to high and low temperatures. Provides service for outdoor events. General good health and ability to perform physical labor and having the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.