Summary: Coordinates and/or performs daily general financial record keeping and accounting duties including, but not limited to: procurement facilitation, accounts payable processing and accounts receivable processing all in a manner consistent with State regulation, internal policies and MetroParks fiscal officer’s policies.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Responsible for maintenance of purchasing records and the organizational purchasing process; processing/issuing purchase orders (and other encumbrances); and coordinating purchasing by other staff with regard to State regulations and MetroParks’ policy.
- Performs accounts payable functions including: checks invoices for accuracy; prepares invoices for vouchering; verifies statements and invoices; maintains voucher files; and prepares Schedules of Payables and Board resolutions relative to their approval and/or ratification.
- Performs accounts receivable functions. Tracks receivables, creates invoices, records and provides notification of payments as required.
- Suggests account transfers (budget modifications) to Manager of Financial Services and composes transfer correspondence as instructed.
- Keeps records of all gifts, donations and grants. Reports same to Manager of Financial Services on a monthly and basis and annually as required by policy, fiscal officer and state regulation.
- Manages and tracks income expenses for grants or special projects as assigned. Completes and submits reimbursement documentation and reports in a timely fashion.
- Manages vendor credit accounts and new credit account requests. Monitors credit card usage and alerts Manager of Financial Services of use not in compliance with MetroParks policy and/or fraudulent use.
- Manages MetroParks Refund/Credit on Account program and policies.
- Coordinates Motor Vehicle Permit Program, ordering, issuing and tracking distribution.
- Provides regular training on financial related policies and procedures to other employees as scheduled.
- Operates MetroParks licensed vehicles assigned for use by Administrative Office staff and/or operates other vehicles on behalf of employer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to meet and deal with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Serves as a goodwill ambassador for MetroParks of Butler County at all times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive issues, privileged information and nonpublic records.
- Proficiency in filing; knowledge of proper telephone etiquette; good diction; knowledge of proper word usage, punctuation and letter-writing skills; and competency in the correct operation of standard office equipment, including the ability to operate common computer systems and software.
- Keyboarding ability of a minimum of 30 words per minute.
- Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage administrative tasks.
- Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document.
Required Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent and a two (2) year accounting or business degree from an accredited business school or college; or a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of five (5) years bookkeeping or accounting experience.
- Good character with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions) is required. Ability to be bonded against dishonesty and theft by MetroParks of Butler County’s current liability insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter.
- A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) on his/her driving record at the time of employment issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations.
Work Environment & Schedule:
This position is a part-time, non-exempt position that is generally in an office environment. Works as scheduled by the Manager of Financial Services. Position may require weekend or holiday duty as arranged.
While performing the duties of this job, the Accounting Associate is regularly required to stay in a stationary position, to traverse, and to converse effectively. This employee may occasionally move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodation will be made for known physical limitations of qualified employees and applicants with disabilities.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.