Summary: Plans and implements or supervises implementation as a working supervisor of maintenance, conservation and land stewardship practices at assigned park locations. Serves as Park Manager in the absence of immediate supervisor.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Responsible for supervision, coordination and/or implementation of regular maintenance, repairs and miscellaneous care of assigned park buildings, playing fields, trails, restrooms, roads, walks, pathways, play structures, and equipment to ensure efficient and safe park operations.
- Oversees and performs quality checks on all contract work performed in park.
- Researches potential costs and revenues, assists with budgets and monitoring same for specific project, activities, or for general operation of assigned properties.
- Recommends policies, long-range objectives and capital improvements for assigned park locations.
- Attends meetings as a representative of MetroParks as assigned, conducts meetings, and makes presentations as assigned.
- Keeps written records, inventories, and makes written reports as required and/or assigned.
- Aids with general public programming and special events as assigned.
- Maintains decorative plant beds and other highly landscaped areas as assigned. Applies fertilizer, herbicides, or other chemicals according to manufacturer’s recommendations and MetroParks policy as assigned.
- Assists with scheduling and supervising of other employees, and/or volunteers assigned to stewardship or maintenance activities.
- Operates tractors, mowers, motor vehicles, hand and power tools commonly in use for general building and grounds maintenance.
- Periodically required to open and/or close park areas and to maintain, check, or supervise special use recreation areas or facilities such as those designed for ice skating, sledding, swimming, etc.
- Assists with planning, supervising, coordinating and/or performing conservation, wildlife management, and land stewardship activities in assigned areas.
- Collects payments, fees, oversees and/or performs sales and other revenue functions as assigned.
- Follows MetroParks policies in Personnel Policy Manual and other policies and requires those supervised to also do so.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to efficiently operate and teach others to safely and properly operate various types of
grounds maintenance and/or construction equipment including, but not limited to:
chainsaws, hedge trimmers, weed whips, tractors and bush hogs, lawnmowers, snow
plows, blowers, skid loaders, water transfer pumps, chippers, graders, etc.
- Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document. The Assistant Park Manager shall carry a cell phone or smart phone and respond to priority calls and emails 24 hours a day.
- Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage tasks.
- Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with confidential information.
- Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records.
- Ability to maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members, volunteers and the staff of other agencies.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; minimum of 18 years of age is required at time of employment.
- A two (2) year degree from an accredited college or technical school in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Conservation, Agronomy, Horticulture, or a related field; or like experience and two (2) years related maintenance and/or land stewardship experience with a park, natural resource conservation agency or closely related private sector employer is preferred for this position.
- Three (3) years prior experience as a proven effective supervisor and must have the ability to effectively motivate assigned subordinates is preferred for this position.
- Experience in and working knowledge of common practices of general park maintenance, athletic fields, irrigation systems, minor building repair, grounds keeping and landscaping, conservation land management and stewardship activities and equipment.
- Basic computer and software competency, which includes use of email, spreadsheets, word processing and PowerPoint is required.
- A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter is required. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment.
- Possession of a valid Ohio Department of Agriculture Certified Pesticide Applicator License allowing utilization of restricted-use pesticides/herbicides for ornamental plant and shade tree pest control and/or turf pest control required at the time of employment, or before completion of the first four months of employment and thereafter is required.
- A candidate for the position and any employee holding the position shall be a person of good character and integrity with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions).
Work Environment & Schedule:
Employment in this position is full-time, non-exempt. This position must maintain a flexible work schedule which shall include work on evenings, holidays and weekends and is prepared for on-call maintenance or other assistance as assigned during emergencies. Ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold (below 32 F degrees) and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions.
General good health and ability to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. The physical ability to perform labor and the tasks noted above is required of this position as well as possession of the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.