The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant is at the frontlines of all office operations and is the first contact for potential and current clients at the Law Offices of Valencia and Diaz, Ltd. The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant attends to the needs of all staff members to ensure that the flow of daily procedures is smooth and stable. The overarching goal of the Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant is to ensure strong client and staff communication, dynamic office functioning, and continuous staff development.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Phone Operation and Message Taking
Answers all incoming calls and directs them to the appropriate party. When answering calls or when clients come into the office, takes detailed, informative messages, and passes them to the appropriate personnel, and annotates them within appropriate software. Updates and maintains internal call log.
Office Calendar Administration
Schedules appointments/consultations for lawyers and paralegals, taking in consideration possible scheduling conflicts with hearings and attorneys’ commutes to other commitments, etc. Confirms appointments and updates calendar entries with changes as necessary.
Client Payment Transaction
Obtains payment for consultations and case balances with potential and/or current clients. Assigns the proper case number to the client’s payment and delivers the payment to managing attorney. Also, provides receipts to the prospective/current client of the payments made.
Intake, Contract, and New Case Development
Prepares client intakes for potential and/or current clients for new consultations. Provides and puts together contract for new clients. Opens new physical and digital case files within appropriate software and hands them to the appropriate managing attorney.
Enters, maintains, and updates data in various legal case-related logs and software, including details regarding initial case creation, invoicing, case status, third party transactions, etc.
Clerical Assistance and Team Player Role
Provides general clerical assistance to attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants. Dutifully participates when needed and assigned to special department projects.
Mail Collection, Distribution, and Transmission
Receives and scans all incoming mail and packages delivered to the law firm. Unless items are marked personal, opens and organizes all envelopes and packages before passing them to managing attorney. Also manages general outgoing mail and updates outgoing mail log.
Completes many general office tasks, including copying, filing, shipping, and faxing various documents at the request of lawyers, paralegals, and legal assistants.
Office Supply Maintenance
Monitors all office supplies, including marketing materials, and notifies when items are needed. Keeps printers stocked with appropriate paper. Also maintains all printing, filing, shipping, stationary, kitchen, and bathroom, etc. materials readily stocked and available.
Prepares daily coffee and tea, making sure that they are available to all staff and visitors in the law office throughout the day. Empties and puts away dishes at beginning of shift; loads and sets dishwasher at end of shift.
Office Appearance Upkeep
Opens building by turning on all lights, opening all blinds, opening file room at the start of shift; turns off all lights; closes all blinds and file room at the end of shift. Maintains the entrance, reception, kitchen, and conference room areas of the law firm neat and appealing at all times. Replaces lightbulbs, waters plants, dusts, and otherwise lightly cleans as necessary.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to…
- Work independently;
- Build trust and rapport with current and potential clients;
- Collaborate with legal assistants, paralegals and attorneys;
- Operate multi-line telephone systems and office equipment such as computers, printers, scanners, copiers and digital cameras;
- Proficient knowledge, understanding, and ease of use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Excel and Word;
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to communicate with senior level attorneys, partners, clients, opposing counsel, court personnel, vendors, staff, and others;
- Strong spelling and grammar skills to take effective messages, draft correspondence and reports, and enter data.
As the Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant is a visitor’s first business contact with the firm, a professional appearance and polished demeanor are vital. Other traits necessary include:
- Share the Law Offices of Valencia and Diaz, Ltd’s “Why” (mission/purpose):
To defend, educate and empower minority groups and individuals to free them from oppression and injustice so that they can fulfil their true potential through permanency in the U.S. along with their family.
- Drive for growth and contribution to the community;
- Up to date with issues affecting the immigrant and minority groups;
- Ability and willingness to network;
- Respect for confidentiality and discretion;
- Attention to detail;
- Positive, upbeat attitude;
- Ability to dynamically multitask;
- Ability to deescalate difficult and unsophisticated visitors;
- Creativity and Innovation;
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or GED required;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
Do not apply if you are not proficient in English and Spanish.;