The Shepherd Chemical Company manufactures metal-based chemicals that are essential to technologies for consumer safety, environmental sustainability, advanced product performance and industrial process efficiency. Partnering with industries from fragrance and personal care to petrochemicals and polyurethanes, we are working to solve some of our customer’s most complex problems through the synthesis, scale up, and commercialization of inorganic and organic metal compounds.
Our Production Workers keep the manufacturing floor moving. You will be part of the team creating quality products to deliver to our customers. You’ll have the opportunity to learn how to operate various pieces of equipment and help us meet our customer requirements. You will have the opportunity to advance roles and change shifts based on performance and business needs.
Hourly pay for Chemical Production Workers starts at $22.58 per hour. Medical benefits are available on day one of employment and Shepherd covers 95% of health care premium costs which makes your out-of-pocket premium rather low.
We are a tobacco-free environment and expect our employees to also be tobacco and nicotine free. A background check and drug/nicotine check are required for all qualified candidates.
Daily responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in the daily production of a variety of chemicals and chemical intermediates by following standard operating procedures.
- Operate plant equipment such as filters, driers, pulverizers, and blenders.
- Operate pumps, reactors, driers, centrifuges, blenders and other related production equipment.
- Read and follow standard batch processing procedures.
- Receive and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Stage raw materials using scale or measurement devices for accurate mixing of proper quality and quantity to reactors and blenders as specified by batch process order.
- Monitor recording instruments, pressure gauges, scales, flow meters, panel lights and other indicators to verify conformity to required process conditions.
- Monitor control settings and makes necessary adjustments to equipment.
- Accurately complete required process documentation.
- Physically add chemicals of the proper quality and quantity to reactors to produce chemical products.
- Perform in-plant testing and inspection to ensure products meet production specification.
- Record information on control charts and batch sheets for statistical studies and production records.
- Follow all company safety, environmental, and security guidelines in the performance of their duties, including implementation of the Responsible Care® Management System.
- High school diploma or GED
- Demonstrated reading and writing skills
- Basic math skills and computer literacy
- Prior work experience with a consistent attendance record
- Our manufacturing environment follows the outside temperature. During the summer months, the indoor temperature may surpass 100o F. In the winter, the temperature may also drop to around freezing temperatures. We provide necessary uniforms, safety glasses, gloves, jackets, etc. as needed to perform your job safely.
- Must be able to lift, bend, reach and twist with loads for long periods. Generally, lifting required will be from 15 - 55 lbs., but may infrequently exceed 100 lbs. Drums may need to be rolled, generally weighing from 100 to 350 lbs. but occasionally exceeding 400 lbs.
- Must pass vision and color/sight test.
- Must possess proper hand-eye coordination.
Note: Physical, dexterity, and math assessments are required for qualified candidates.
Recruiting Process (if selected):
- Phone interview
- Onsite assessments to ensure you meet minimum performance standards
- Face-to-face interview with production team
- Offer is contingent upon passing a background check and drug and nicotine screen
- Health, dental, vision, group term life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) plan - including Profit Sharing (no employee match required)
- Tuition Reimbursement Plan
- Potential Annual Bonus
- 11 paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellbeing Program
- Employee and Career Development
The Shepherd Material Science Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.