Exhibits Crew (Part Time)
Reports to: Exhibits Workshop Manager
FLSA Status: PT, Temporary
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the American with Disabilities Act.
The Cincinnati Museum Center seeks to fill 20 open positions for our Exhbits Crew by May 1, 2018!
This position will be a temporary tech for Cincinnati Museum Center’s exhibits department, assisting with setup, fabrication, and space preparation responsibilities related to installation and de-installation of exhibits.
Fabrication of Exhibits Components – 50% of duties
- Provide fabrication, assembly and carpentry support for exhibit components including: displays, scenic facades and graphic signs
- Assist in the in the maintenance of production tools, equipment, and facilities; and otherwise contribute to the operating functions of the Exhibit Department, as assigned.
- Install exhibit structures and devices into final exhibition spaces - inside the shop, at the client locations, and within Union Terminal.
- Assist in the maintenance and refurbishment of exhibit components.
- Build crates and shipping containers for CMC-produced traveling exhibits.
- Work together with other team members to unload, assemble and install, dismantle, pack and load-out traveling exhibits developed internally and/or produced by other institutions.
Installation, Maintenance, and De-installation of Exhibits – 50% of duties
- Assists teams for installations and de-installations of traveling exhibits and fabrication projects.
- Provides technical support where required.
- Troubleshoots and repairs technical, structural or cosmetic problems as requested.
Education and Experience:
• Must have 3 years minimum work experience in one or a combination of industrial design and fabrication, set design and fabrication, interior design and fabrication, museum studies, fine art
Applicants who demonstrate combination of experience plus a 2-year degree or Bachelor’s Degree in a related field will also be considered
Previous experience as an Exhibit Builder, Master or Journeyman Cabinet Maker, and/or Installer is highly desirable and preferred.
• Must have 3 years minimum experience in carpentry, woodworking and use of woodworking shop tools including table saw, router, chop saw, sanders, band saw, and various hand power tools.
• Minimum one year experience working with exhibits, museums, galleries, or other arts production-related organizations.
• Experience in fabrication, painting, and carpentry.
• Minimum one year experience handling, escorting, and caring for art, artifacts, and exhibitory equipment.
• Work experience with set or exhibit design, construction and installation (including lighting) is beneficial.
• Forklift driving experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to manage time and organize tasks efficiently, and to able to self-motivate and work autonomously
• Commitment to superior workmanship and a safe, orderly work environment
• Strong communication skills and thorough attention to detail.
• Ability to fabricate using a table saw, band saw, panel saw, chop saw, planer, jointer, sander, and grinder, and experience with prepping and applying a wide variety of finishes on wood, metal, plastics.
• Working knowledge and ability to troubleshoot basic electrical, mechanical, and AV systems.
• Ability to drive and work on 19’ or 26’ scissor lift to work in a lighting grid, hang lighting track/fixtures, wiring and props.
• Computer skills including Sketchup, Vectorworks (CAD a plus), file transport software (e.g., Dropbox), and all Adobe and MS Office suites in both Mac and PC platforms preferred.
• Audio/visual production skills (e.g., digital audio and video machines, digital projectors, digital cameras, and DVD players), familiarity with Flash Card Media, video/DVD & audio editing, Macromedia Flash a plus.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
Position is part-time, on call, and requires as much as 40 hours per week. Some evenings and weekends when required to meet tight exhibit opening deadlines. The ideal candidate will work flexibly and harmoniously within a team, and will participate in and contribute to creative brainstorming sessions. Must have valid driver’s license.
Required to perform other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
To apply online please go to: