Reports to: Exhibit Production
FLSA Status: FT/Exempt
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the American with Disabilities Act.
Plans and completes ongoing maintenance for all elements of all permanent exhibits within the three museums of Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC) at Union Terminal and other locations as deemed necessary, ensuring and/or providing emergency and ad hoc maintenance during all public and private open museum hours.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plans, facilitates, and completes maintenance and upkeep of all permanent CMC exhibits lighting systems, displays, and equipment.
- Repairs, upgrades, and troubleshoots all electronic elements of all permanent CMC exhibits.
- Repairs, upgrades, and troubleshoots all lighting systems and lighting elements of permanent CMC exhibits, including bulbs and lamps.
- Repairs and maintains all of CMC's pneumatic, plumbing, hydraulic, electrical and mechanical exhibits equipment.
- Ensures that all work is completed in compliance with OSHA and all other safety standards and requirements.
- Schedules and completes preventive maintenance of CMC's permanent exhibits, regularly presenting accurate, museum standard records and/or logs of maintenance activities to the Exhibits Department using CMC's selected maintenance system.
- Trains CMC floor staff in operation and basic troubleshooting of permanent exhibits components and equipment.
- Serves as first response for any emergency repairs to CMC permanent exhibits during public museum hours and private event hours.
- Manages and completes all purchasing for the budget for annual maintenance, repairs, and preventative upgrades to CMC permanent exhibits, working with suppliers to minimize costs of supplies (e.g., lamps, parts, electronics) and equipment.
- Collaborates with CMC staff to ensure that all Collections artifacts, specimens, etc. within CMC's permanent exhibits are displayed securely, safely, and in accordance with required lighting and climatic conditions.
- Works with CMC museums' floor staff, museum directors, and Exhibits Department to strategically execute ongoing maintenance, repairs, and proactive refurbishes and upgrades to permanent exhibits.
- Advises on work groups overseeing the upgrade and renovation of Union Terminal's permanent exhibits.
- Assists with and works on exhibits relocation and fabrication projects in connection with restoration of Union Terminal.
- Assists Exhibits Department with installation and de-installation of temporary CMC exhibits in changing exhibits galleries as requested.
- During periods when maintenance responsibilities are curtailed (e.g., exhibit closures or periods with light maintenance needs), assists the Exhibits Department with fabrication projects related to external contract projects and/or other internal exhibits related projects.
Performs other duties as requested or assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Requires a candidate with a minimum of three (3) years of experience or equivalent educational and/or vocational training in a combination of the fields of construction, electrical wiring, and mechanical equipment maintenance. Strong knowledge of ALL of these fields is required.
• Extensive experience with programming, operation, and repair of exhibit and/or stage lighting and associated systems.
• Extensive experience with programming, operation, and systems maintenance (e.g., updating, and strategic upgrading) of PC and Mac format computers and their associated software, hardware, and applications.
• Extensive experience with programming, operation, and strategic maintenance and upgrading of all exhibit-related A/V equipment (e.g., players, displays, projectors, message signs, controllers, closed circuit cameras).
• Training and experience in use of 19' and 26' scissor lifts and fork lift (operational certifications are preferred).
• Previous experience in exhibits, museums, and theater, nonprofits, and trade shows preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of electrical codes and building codes.
• Ability to read and work from building plans, scaled designs, and construction drawings.
• Ability to fabricate using a table saw, band saw, panel saw, chop saw, planer, jointer, sander, and grinder, and experience with prepping and applying a wide variety of finishes on wood, metal, plastics.
• Abilities in fabrication, painting, exhibits design, and carpentry.
• Authentic passion for facilitating engaging informal learning, superb visitor experience, and creativity in exhibit maintenance and presentation in a dynamic nonprofit environment.
• Affinity for collaborative and gregarious interaction with all CMC staff, visitors, and vendors.
• Knowledge of sculpting, welding, mold and model making, and the ability to operate 3D printers and multi-axis CNC routers a plus
• Must be able to problem solve, strategize, and adapt quickly, safely, and responsively with fullest commitment to facilitating superb visitor experience and inspiring CMC staff's confidence in the quality and reliability of permanent exhibits.
Positions works primarily in a workshop environment. Maintenance Manager responds by phone, and if necessary in person to staff-identified emergencies on weekends and holidays, engaging an appropriate backup point if unavailable outside of standard working hours. Must be able to lift 70 pounds and have ability to walk, stoop, crawl into tight spaces, and climb ladders Must wear safety equipment including but not limited to safety goggles, respirators, and safety harnesses are required
How to Apply
To apply online go to: