Summary: Under the supervision of the Park Manager or his/her designee performs a variety of general-purpose duties and manual labor tasks related to the upkeep and improvement of park grounds, buildings, facilities, for special events/tournaments such as field layout, cleaning restrooms, emptying trash receptacles, traffic and parking support, etc., and provides park information to park visitors.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Maintenance duties may include, but are not limited to: litter pick up, cleaning and maintenance of park facilities and public areas, assisting with parking and crowd control for special events/tournaments and programs.
- Prepares and maintains park exterior and interior facilities for use by performing duties such as cleaning, painting and routine maintenance of reservable areas, recreational equipment, shelters, and park grounds adjacent to reservable spaces, common areas, storage rooms, kitchen areas and restrooms.
- Uses and maintains wrenches, pruners, trimmers, brooms, mops, vacuum cleaners, blowers, brushes, rollers, shovels, rakes, hammers and other common hand tools.
- Operates licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles, APVs, snow plows, tractors, mowers, brush hogs, loaders and other equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage tasks.
- The physical ability to perform labor and the tasks noted above is required of this position as well as possession of the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with confidential information.
- Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records.
- Ability to maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members, volunteers and the staff of other agencies.
Required Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED; minimum of 18 years of age at the time of employment is required for this position.
Previous grounds and building maintenance experience is preferred for this position or experience in a related field.
Good character with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions) is required of all persons who are candidates for employment or employees currently working under the provisions of this position description.
A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
Work Environment & Schedule:
Ability to work a flexible, intermittent schedule. Ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold (below 32 F degrees) and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Ability to work around various outdoor contaminants and airborne and plant allergens. Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions.
General good health and ability to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee will regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.
How to Apply
Required application can be found at https://www.yourmetroparks.net/about/careers and must be completed and returned by 4 pm on February 21, 2020. If you need assistance, call 513-867-5835 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.