The Finishing Operator – Unsupported Films is responsible for operating either a slitter or seamer to take large rolls from a press and break them down into smaller rolls or finished shrink sleeves following the customer’s specifications. The Finishing Operator – Unsupported Films follows specifications on the job ticket to complete rolls to the right length, copy position, and core size or shrink sleeves to the correct layflat. Finishing Operators – Unsupported Films are responsible for verifying quality of supplied rolls and reviewing product for defects to ensure the highest quality product for our customers. Finishing Operator – Unsupported Films may also box product or perform other finishing duties to ensure product is provided to shipping in an accurate and timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review job work instructions/tickets and set up the slitter, seamer or inspector properly for the job, including fingers, seaming bead, blades, cores, and copy position.
- Operate the machine to break the large press rolls into finished customer rolls.
- Review sleeves and rolls for quality and consistency.
- Perform splices in which two rolls of the same product are taped together. Follow company procedures and requirements for verification of the product ID numbers and visual inspection with supervisor sign off.
- Verify Core IDs for the finished rolls and place them inside and outside of the roll, following verification by the supervisor that the Core ID is correct.
- Place finished rolls or sleeves in the proper box, verifying the core and box IDs match, and place the box in the designated area for either shipping or stock products.
- Communicate with Shift Supervisor, Production Manager, and/or Scheduler regarding issues with the label, including over or under runs, label quality, or ID number questions.
- Maintains the work area and machines in a clean and orderly condition and follows prescribed Fortis policies and safety regulations.
- Additional duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- At least one year machine operation experience, printing related production experience preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Motivated by task accomplishment and comfortable doing routine tasks at a high level.
- Must be proactive to catch problems or inconsistencies and bring them to management’s attention.
- Good organization skills to manage multiple different labels each day.
- Willing to attend required training courses or sessions related to the job as assigned.
- Lifting, sitting, standing, crouching, and associated repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test and subject to random drug screening.
- Regular exposure to dust and noise in the production environment.
- Warehouse environment temperatures may be influenced by outside temperatures.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Safety glasses are recommended in the production area.