Applicants must have their Ohio EMT-Basic Certification or Paramedic Certification & Firefighter II Certification at the time of application.
The City of Blue Ash is recruiting to fill positions for part-time Firefighter/EMT and part-time Firefighter/Paramedic. These positions engage directly in fire prevention and fire-fighting activities to protect and safeguard lives and property; responds to emergency calls for EMT services; assists the Fire Inspector/Paramedic and Firefighter/Paramedic; assists in maintenance and repair of fire and emergency medical service stations and equipment; and other appropriate duties as assigned by or through the City Manager.
The schedule for part-time Fire Service is a 6-day, 24-hour rotation and candidates must be available to work from 0700 to 0700.
This position will enjoy individual membership to the Blue Ash Recreation Center with eligibility and discount for family members and discounts at the Blue Ash Golf Course, and the Sandtrap Grill Restaurant.
Years of experience will be considered in determining starting pay.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: An employee in this class is responsible for performing hazardous tasks under emergency conditions. In addition to responding to calls for EMT/Paramedic assistance and alarms of fire, a portion of the work consists of the performance of various duties in the maintenance of the fire and emergency medical service station, and the preventative and corrective maintenance of trucks and equipment. Should readily become familiar with modern fire-fighting and prevention methods and procedures after entrance on duty. Superiors make assignments of specific tasks and indicate methods and procedures to be followed. Work is under close supervision most of the time, but there are times when courses of action must be determined by the employee. Employees in this classification should become a skilled driver, pump operator, ladder operator, snorkel operator, salvage worker, and fire inspector within a reasonable time from the time of appointment, at which time the employee would be tested for proficiency in every phase of operations.
- Provides EMT or Paramedic services at emergency scenes involving injuries, life-threatening situations and deaths;
- Serves as driver of a rescue unit;
- Removes persons from burning buildings;
- Operates pumper truck and other fire-fighting equipment;
- Lays and connects hose lines and operates nozzles directing water streams;
- Operates and uses snorkel and other equipment for high level fire-fighting;
- Performs salvage operations at scene of fire, such as covering furniture with tarpaulin, mopping floors and clearing debris;
- Operates radio equipment;
- Cleans, maintains and makes repairs to fire-fighting and emergency medical service equipment;
- Participates in fire drills, individual and group training courses (including fire-fighting theory and practices) and first-aid techniques;
- Participates in training sessions to maintain EMT or Paramedic status;
- Checks fire hydrants for operating and physical condition;
- Performs a wide variety of routine tasks in connection with the maintenance of fire station quarters and grounds;
- Keeps records and makes reports;
- Attends fire-fighting school;
- Attends seminars and meetings, related to emergency medical service, fire prevention and extinguishment.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at www.BlueAsh.com. The City of Blue Ash is an EEO/ADA Employer.