Pay Range: $21.50 - $33.91 Hourly
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Fire Department
Apply Here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfieldoh/jobs/3799717/firefighter-paramedic?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
The City of Fairfield is announcing that a Civil Service exam will be given through the National Testing Network. This test will be used as the initial step to establish an Eligibility List for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. All testing with the National Testing Network (NTN) must be completed by the application closing date. The exam provided by the National Testing Network will be used as the civil service exam.
Applicants must apply online at www.fairfield-city.org and take the NTN test before Tuesday December 6 at 11:59 pm.
To take the test, go here: https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/ then:
- Under the Header- Find Jobs, click on "Firefighter Jobs"
- Scroll Down to "Ohio" and find the City of Fairfield
- Check mark the box next to the posting
- Left side of screen will show a red "Continue" box
- Follow instructions on website
This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks related to protecting life and property by performing fire suppression and providing emergency medical services; participating in fire station and equipment maintenance; engaging in training and exercise programs as directed; and other related tasks as required.
Qualifications include: 18 years old on or prior to the date of examination and not eligible for original appointment to Fairfield Department on or after age 41; valid driver’s license; high school diploma/GED; ability to perform the essential functions of the position; must possess certification for Firefighter II and a minimum of EMT-B at time of appointment. Paramedic certification preferred; if not already certified as a Paramedic, the City will pay for training and certification must be obtained within three years of employment.
Current part-time Firefighter/EMT employees of the City of Fairfield will have additional credit added to their passing score, based on years of service.
Those who receive a passing score of 70% on all sections of the test must subsequently pass the following to be eligible for appointment: physical agility test; CVSA; medical physical (including drug screen) and psychological exam; background check.
Please apply online at www.fairfield-city.org. Applications will be accepted beginning Monday November 14. Deadline for applications is Tuesday December 6 at 11:59 pm. No exceptions. In the event of a tie score after credits for seniority are added to the passing written exam score, priority in ranking is determined by the date and time the application is received.
Probationary Period: 1 year
Pay Range: $21.50 - $33.91
For the Commission:
Emily Hodges, Secretary
Examples of Duties
Under the general supervision of duty Lieutenant and/or Captain, is responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks related to protecting life and property by performing fire suppression and providing emergency medical services.
- Provide immediate and superior fire suppression and emergency medical services when responding to dispatched calls using established procedures and performance standards to ensure services are administered effectively and efficiently.
- Participate in fire station and equipment maintenance to assure a safe, clean work environment and well-maintained, functioning equipment in order to fully perform job duties.
- Accurately complete all required forms, documentation and correspondence so that it is precise, understandable and conveys the necessary information.
- Ensure proper operation of firefighting, rescue and life support equipment, instruments and supplies. Inventory and restock firefighting, rescue, drug, medical and facility maintenance supplies.
- Participate in all training exercises and/or drills as required or assigned. Maintain currency in critical skills required for firefighting and performance of emergency medical services.
- Participate in continuing education programs to ensure maintenance of all fire, medical and driving certification requirements of the position.
- Maintain physical fitness to effectively carry out job responsibilities. Maintain effective working relationships with all employees, other agencies and the general public.
- Contribute to the overall effective delivery of services of the Fairfield Fire Department in special programs such as Paramedic Bicycle Patrol, Child Car Seat Installation, CPR Training, etc.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Superior personal characteristics including honesty, moral character, ethical behavior, reputation or habit. Above average oral and written communications skills, interpersonal skills, and decision-making skills. Ability to make sound judgments in critical situations often without consultation and supervision. Ability to effectively relate to people of various socio-economic levels. Basic computer competency. High School diploma or GED; State of Ohio Firefighter II and State of Ohio Paramedic certification; if not already certified as a Paramedic, must obtain certification within three years; must maintain the certifications as an ongoing condition of employment. Successful completion of Civil Service testing process; valid Ohio Driver's License; physical fitness sufficient to meet demands of the jobs. Must be at least eighteen on the date of the Civil Service Examination and not yet thirty-six years of age at the time of original full-time appointment to Fairfield Fire Department.
Requires exposure to extreme weather conditions, occasional risk of physical abuse or injury; possible exposure to hazardous substances or pathogens. While performing the duties of this position, employee is frequently required to stand; walk, sit and talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb ladders; and drive automobiles, medium and heavy-duty apparatus. Occasionally employee is required to lift and/or move more than 150 pounds, sit, climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; and smell. Must be able to detect the presence of fire and/or smoke using the senses of vision, smell, hearing and touch. Must be able to balance on rooftops; ice-, oil- and water-slick surfaces; ledges and beams. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to read and comprehend technical data, written instructions, training and directives. Must be able to effectively communicate verbally to individuals and groups. Must be capable of operating radios and other communications equipment.
Will frequently experience time pressures; emergency situations; noisy/distracting environment; performing multiple tasks simultaneously; working closely with others as part of a team; irregular schedule/overtime and numerous changes of tasks. Will often experience danger, physically and mentally exasperating tasks and tedious exacting work.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in precarious places and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, except during emergency activities when noise levels may be loud. Often operate emergency apparatus in inclement weather; work on rooftops, at extreme heights, below ground and around hazardous materials. Will perform treatment on people who may have infectious or communicable diseases; will be exposed to blood or bodily fluids and required to clean equipment and apparatus following such exposures.
This description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. It is instead a description of the essential elements of the position that are needed for recruitment, placement, orientation, training, competency assessment, classification, compensation determination and other Human Resources actions.