The Charge Nurse - LPN supervises the day-to-day nursing activities of the State Tested Nursing Assistants (STNA) in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
Essential Activities and TasksOperations Management and Administration
- Directs the day-to-day functions of the nursing activities in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern the facility, including the making of work assignments to Nursing Assistants.
- Assists in implementing methods for coordinating nursing services to ensure continuity of residents care.
- Administers medications and treatments in accordance with physician orders and nursing standards of practice.
- Represents the nursing department during Interdisciplinary Care Plan meetings. Is able to answer questions related to the plan of care and delivery of services.
- Participates in various committee meetings.
- Makes work assignments and meets with Nursing Assistants regularly to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and the improvement of care and services.
- Provides direct nursing care as needed.
- Consults with the resident's physicians in planning resident care, treatment, rehabilitation, etc. as needed.
- Notifies residents' physicians and families when there is a change in the resident's condition.
- Authorizes and monitors the use of restraints when necessary and in accordance with the facility policies and procedures.
- Admits, transfers and discharges patients as necessary.
- Works with Unit Manager to help reduce hospital readmissions.
- Attends all-employee and departmental meetings and in-service training as scheduled or as directed.
Quality, Compliance, and Risk Management
- Ensures that nursing procedures are followed by nursing service personnel, and that they reflect the day-to-day nursing care procedures used by the facility.
- Participates in the maintenance and implementation of the facility's quality assurance program.
- Ensures the procedures for the administration, storage and control of medications and supplies are being followed by nursing staff.
- Ensures that resident rooms, treatment areas, work areas and equipment are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and safe manner.
People Management and Development
- Supervises STNAs.
- Fosters a positive work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates employees.
- Interviews, selects, and orients new direct reports.
- Defines, establishes, and promotes performance expectations so direct reports understand and demonstrate excellence through high quality and consistent performance.
- Evaluates job performance of direct reports in accordance with the company policy and procedure and provides developmental guidance to staff for improved performance and growth.
- Monitors accountability with organization requirements prescribed by the Employee Handbook. Documents and engages employees who are routinely not observing these requirements in an effort to achieve compliance. Works with Human Resources when circumstances arise that necessitate further documentation and intervention.
- Participates in the development, planning, scheduling, conducting, and monitoring of in-service training programs, on-the-job training, and orientation programs for departmental staff.
- Ensures that there is a reasonable and sufficient plan for staffing should a direct report be absent or a direct reporting position be vacant.
- Responds timely and thoughtfully to questions, requests, and work product from departmental staff that has been provided for review and approval.
All other duties as assigned.
•Current unencumbered license for the state of Ohio to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
•One year of clinical experience in a hospital, long term care facility, or other related health care facility preferred.
•Supervisory experience in a long-term care, hospital, or other related healthcare setting preferred.
•Proficiency with electronic medical records (EMR) preferred.
•Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
How to Apply
Go to www.ohioliving.org, choose careers, select Monroe in the search feature and click on apply in the upper right hand corner.