Job ID: 4264 - Unclassified - FT (Salaried)
Reporting to the Associate Director of Engineering, the Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the project management of all assigned mechanical system construction and alteration projects for Miami University including, but not limited to, mechanical systems and equipment as well as systems and components involved in energy management and building automation systems. Coordination with various agencies such as the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission and related state agencies, Associate Architects and Engineers, construction firms, University departments, and the Physical Facilities staff is required. The position is open due to growth and the need to create a continuous succession plan of advancement within the department. Desired candidate will have the opportunity for advancement and additional responsibilities.
Miami University holds an extremely high standard of excellence, and it is crucial that the Mechanical Engineer’s expectations and goals exceed this threshold. The Physical Facilities Department is determined to be the benchmark of excellence for facilities planning and engineering. The culture of the department is highly collaborative and forward thinking. Desired candidate will bring a creative approach to problem solving; an understanding of industry standards, trends, and best practices; and the ability to incorporate LEAN principals in a ‘CAN DO’ environment.
Planning, Architecture, and Engineering Core Values: CREATIVE, INTEGRITY, EMPOWERED, COLLABORATIVE, CUSTOMER FOCUSED
Overall project management responsibilities for assigned mechanical projects of various sizes and types from initiation through project closeout. Duties include oversight of initial planning, scope of work determination, cost estimate reviews, competitive bidding, contractor negotiations, cost control, work inspections, scheduling, work coordination, move planning and management, project close out, and post occupancy follow up.
- Project Planning – Meet with departments to determine needs and project feasibility.
- Scope of Work Determination – Develop an accurate scope of work, to include all systems for a complete scope determination.
- Project Oversight – Oversight for job costs, including change orders; prepares project status reports, reviews requests for payment by consulting A/E’s and contractors, control payment by valuation of completed work.
- Work Coordination – Responsible for coordination between various trades, suppliers, and end users to ensure timely and proper completion of project.
- Project Close Out – Inspection of contractor work to ensure compliance with all project requirements, follow up to be sure contractor completes all final inspection work tasks, and to ensure submission of accurate record drawings and operations and maintenance manuals; conduct post occupancy interviews.
Coordination with department representatives and review of documents for mechanical compliance with University Standards.
- Acts as a mechanical / HVAC technical representative to other PMs for assigned projects managed by the Planning Architecture & Engineering Division of the Physical Facilities Department. Reviews design drawings and specifications with the engineering associate and reports major design issues to the project manager.
- Assists with updating the mechanical portion of the University Construction Standards including working to develop the engineering requirements when programming new buildings and major building renovations.
Coordination with project managers to provide on-site technical expertise.
- Works with the project manager (on their assigned projects to technically assist) and the contractors throughout the construction period and the final commissioning of HVAC equipment and systems as needed to ensure compliance with Standards and Contract Documents. Reports contract deficiencies to the Project Manager.
Assists in the development and implementation of Planning Architecture & Engineering Objectives, develops and pursues personal goals and objectives that are in alignment with and supportive of Divisional goals.
Maintains knowledge of current codes and ensures that all applicable codes are followed on assigned projects. Submits reports as required to comply with requirement of State agencies and other agencies having jurisdiction over inspection.
Assists the Director of Planning, Architecture, & Engineering and the Director of Energy Systems in formulating and directing policies and methods to meet total energy management needs and consumption reduction goals.
Supports Divisional LEAN continuous improvement efforts, sustainability initiatives, customer service philosophy, and productivity expectations with a focus on: effective and efficient solutions for the University.
- OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience in a position with similar responsibilities is required.
Sound knowledge and experience with managing project budgets, schedules, and other project management duties.
Ability to organize, prioritize, and perform under pressure in both public contact and internal departmental capacity.
How to Apply