Summary: Under supervision of the Senior Park Manager performs a variety of general-purpose duties and manual labor tasks related to the upkeep and maintenance of lawn areas within MetroParks.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
• Maintains park grounds by performing duties related to the cutting of lawn areas including mowing, trimming and blowing of clippings..
• Uses and maintains Zero turn mowers, string trimmers, blowers and all related equipment including; wrenches, pruners, trimmers, brooms, blowers, rakes, hammers and other common hand tools.
• Operates licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles, APVs, tractors, mowers, brush hogs, loaders and other equipment.
• Meets and deals with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Acts as a good-will ambassador for the MetroParks at all times. Maintains a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members.
• Maintains accurate records of tasks performed, including but not limited to, time sheets, vehicle mileage, equipment usage, etc.
• Follows Board policies in Personnel Policy Manual.
• Maintains confidentiality on sensitive issues and nonpublic records.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage tasks.
• The physical ability to perform labor and the tasks noted above is required of this position as well as possession of the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with confidential information.
• Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public.
• Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records.
• Ability to maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members, volunteers and the staff of other agencies.
Required Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED; and a minimum of 18 years of age is required at the time of employment.
• Previous grounds maintenance and mowing experience is preferred for this position.
• Good character with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions) is required of all persons who are candidates for employment or employees currently working under the provisions of this position description.
• A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
Work Environment & Schedule:
Employment in this position requires availability for a flexible and intermittent work schedule. Ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Ability to work around various outdoor contaminants, such as pesticides, herbicides, and airborne and plant allergens. Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions.
General good health and ability to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.