Salary Range: $25.71 - $35.12
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Public Utilities Department
Apply Here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfieldoh/jobs/3774937/operator-maintenance-worker?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
The City of Fairfield is announcing an open competitive exam to establish an Eligibility List for the position of Operator/Maintenance Worker in the Water and Wastewater Division. The exam will be conducted on Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 6pm at the Butler Tech – Public Safety Education Complex Forum, located at 5140 Princeton-Glendale Road, Liberty Township, OH 45011.
Persons in these positions are responsible for operating and maintaining the equipment and unit process operations of the City’s Water/Wastewater facilities and associated distribution and collection systems on assigned shifts; performing preventative and corrective maintenance programs to insure the efficient operation and good condition of equipment and physical facilities and other related tasks.
Scope of the written exam will be multiple-choice questions relative to qualification requirements. Calculators are permitted for use during the exam. A passing score of 70% is required to be included on the Eligibility List. In the event of a tie score, priority in ranking is determined by the date and time the application is received.
Please apply online at www.fairfield-city.org beginning Monday, October 24, 2022. Deadline for applications is November 13, 2022 by 11:59 pm. No Exceptions. Photo ID required at the time of test.
Probationary Period: 12 months
Under general supervision, operates and maintains the equipment, facilities and processes of the Water or Wastewater Divisions in order to maintain a quality water supply or to assure compliance with EPA permit and accepted standards of wastewater effluents.
Examples of Duties:
- Operates and maintains large and small equipment such as backhoe, dump truck, sewer-cleaning truck, pumps, motors, mixers, closed circuit television and various other hand and power tools.
- Operates the Water Treatment Plant or Wastewater Treatment Plant; monitors water or wastewater processes through electronic and physical observation; takes samples and performs laboratory analysis as necessary or prescribed. Makes chemical adjustments as necessary; operates flow control valves. Monitors water quantity and quality. Orders materials and chemicals as required. Exercises independent judgment in making process changes.
- Generates and prepares reports required for EPA compliance and for necessary documentation; checks and logs meter readings; enters data into manual and computerized data systems. Writes and maintains work orders utilizing a computer database.
- Performs preventative and corrective maintenance on equipment. Maintains facilities through basic custodial and maintenance practices. Cleans equipment and physical plant, hose clarifiers, aerators, etc. Prepares and paints various components of equipment and facilities.
- Maintains grounds; cuts grass and weeds; prunes trees and shrubs; performs landscape work; rakes leaves; picks up trash; clears snow and ice at the Water and Wastewater facilities.
- Sets up and maintains Traffic Control in Work Zones following Ohio Department of Transportation guidelines. Requires working safely in dangerous situations such as flagging in traffic, working in trenches and ditches.
- Maintains and repairs the piping, valves and other appurtenances in the water distribution or wastewater collection systems; installs, maintains, and reads water meters as required; installs new water or sewer piping; operates sewer television and cleaning equipment. Compacts backfill of excavation and prepares for temporary repair of roadway.
- Inspects new installations of water distribution and sewer collection components including service installations.
- Turns water supply off and on to customers. Responds to customer complaints and field utility location requests as appropriate. Meets and interacts with citizens, contractors, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner per applicable Federal, State and local rules and regulations.
High School diploma/GED; valid License and be able to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License; successful completion of Civil Service Examination; ability to operate various power and maintenance tools/equipment; possess good mechanical skills; effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; mathematical skills; basic computer competency skills; have knowledge of plumbing configurations and recognize basic electrical components; ability to pass a medical exam and have the physical stamina to perform the essential functions of these positions including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, pulling/carrying medium to heavily weighted objects. Appreciation for hazards involved in construction and maintenance work.