Summary: To assist in all facets of programming for MetroParks of Butler County delivery, program development/planning, conference coordination/liaison, and assisting in the general administration of Programs and Special Events. The position includes work as an instructor, being a public relations ambassador with guests and groups, and assisting in maintenance of the instructional areas and equipment. Must be competent in use of computer software, information technology and social media to promote and track participation at programs and events.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- To take part in all training or in-service activities to develop proficiencies required to perform job re
- Assists with MetroParks Park Connections programs, special events and volunteers as assigned. Spends approximately 90% of time delivering programs or assisting with events, and 10% preparing for programming and events.
- Demonstrates proficiency in teaching the program curriculum and concepts, sharing park information and interfacing with volunteers and the public.
- Provide quality education programs, recreational or conservation experiences for park customers and/or volunteers.
- Provides accurate park facility and organizational information to park visitors/customers upon request.
- Operates MetroParks licensed motor vehicles as assigned or personal vehicle as necessary to meet assigned responsibilities.
- Accurately collects and deposits MetroParks program or other fees as assigned and keeps accurate financial, program, time and work records. Composes and files written reports as assigned.
- Demonstrate professional competencies in interactions with public, staff and volunteers, included but not limited to:
- Wearing staff uniform when working with a group
- Showing interest and understanding for other staff members and park customers;
- Being punctual and attentive to assigned schedule
- Handling conflict constructively and keeping a positive attitude
- Providing a safe experience for all participants and never leave participants u
- Recruiting, coordinating and/or functionally supervising volunteers as assigned
- Cooperates on maintaining the grounds and seeing that facility equipment and programming materials are used properly and returned promptly to storage in good condition.
- Providing support for existing program and assisting in the development of new programs as assigned. May wear historic period costume, works with approved program animals for demonstration purposes, and/or uses educational, audio/visual equipment and/or other tools specific and appropriate to the delivery of programs and events as assigned.
- Follows Board policies in MetroParks Employee Guide and Personnel
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage administrative tasks.
Working knowledge of or experience with personal computer hardware and software including but not limited to email, word processing, data management and spreadsheets, and graphic design software operations and other common office equipment.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, including competent knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with confidential information.
Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document.
Required Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or equivalent training supplemented with two (2) years college level courses in education, science or environmental studies, cultural history. Alternatively, a high school diploma or equivalent training supplemented with at least four (4) years of work experience working with youth or families program delivery.
A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
General good health and ability to perform physical labor and having the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
A candidate for the position and any employee holding the position shall be a person of good character and integrity with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions). Ability to be bonded against dishonesty and theft by MetroParks current liability insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter is also required.
Work Environment & Schedule:
The schedule for this position is intermittent. Employee may occasionally supervise other assigned personnel, such as seasonal and/or intermittent workers, volunteers, employment program participants. Availability for occasional evening and weekend work as scheduled in advance.
This Position requires that an outdoor educator have the ability to walk, stand, bend, twist, push & pull, with some lifting of materials up to 50 lbs. Leaders conduct outdoor programs and events that are held year-round and must be comfortable with exposure to a wide range of temperatures. General good health and the ability to perform physical labor and having the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner is required for this position.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.
How to Apply
Required application can be found at https://www.yourmetroparks.net/about/careers and must be completed and returned by 4 pm on February 21, 2020. If you need assistance, call 513-867-5835 or email email@example.com.