Provide basic and advanced emergency medical care and transportation under the guidelines of approved Company medical protocols, Operations Standard Operating Procedures, and within the Paramedic scope of practice as defined the State of Ohio Division of EMS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Must pass post job offer breath alcohol and drug test prior to starting assignment.
- Must agree to random breath alcohol and drug tests per Company policy.
- Follows all Company policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Standard Operating Procedures, Safety Handbook and any memos.
- Drives company vehicles in accordance with Company driving policies.
- Notifies management immediately of any accident involving a Company vehicle; or damage or loss of any Company property.
- Demonstrates effective verbal communication skills when interacting with other employees, patients, and customers.
- Show skill in conflict resolution and knows various methods with which to resolve conflicts.
- Maintains strict confidentiality regarding patient information in accordance with HIPAA regulations, as well as sensitive Company and employee information.
- Attends mandatory Company meetings and training sessions.
- Promptly reports compliance issues to supervisor.
- Demonstrates ability to work as a member of a team, and individually when necessary.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Provide a safe and welcome environment for patients and customers.
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures to be followed or need for additional assistance.
- Administers initial treatment at emergency scene and takes and records patient vital signs.
- Assists in extricating trapped victims and transports sick and injured persons to treatment center.
- Observes, records, and reports to physician patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatment, and significant incidents.
- Communicates with physician and other medical personnel via radio and telephone.
- Completes patient care and billing reports for every trip. Documentation must be thorough and legible in accordance with Company standards. Gather patient billing information and necessary signatures.
- Displays a working knowledge of service areas, including facility locations, local regulations and procedures, and any local medical procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to properly use all Company provided medical equipment within the Paramedic scope of practice.
OPERATIONAL JOB DUTIES
- Performs regular assigned shift duties (unit checkout, vehicle cleaning, station cleaning, and minor station maintenance duties).
- Maintains cleaning standards of station(s), vehicle(s), and equipment used in providing patient care and transportation.
- Completes detailed Incident Reports and Accident Reports in a timely manner at the request of management.
- Uses appropriate terminology and tone and follows all radio communication procedures, including but not limited to: beginning shift mileage, radio checks, end of shift mileage, and status changes.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or GED is required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
COMPUTER / TYPING SKILLS
Ability to type and work efficiently with computers, printers, faxes, email, and computer aided dispatch software (electronic patient care reports).
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common to fractions and decimals.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Possess and maintain current Ohio Paramedic certification without lapse.
- Possess and maintain CPR certification (for Healthcare Provider) without lapse.
- Possess and maintain Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) through American Heart Association or equivalent without lapse.
- Obtain, within 6 months of hire a Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification or equivalent without lapse.
- Possess and maintain a valid Ohio Driver’s License with no more than four (4) points; and approval by Company insurance provider to drive Company vehicles.
- Annual proctored skills and written protocol (standing orders) testing without lapse.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers, handle, feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to balance or climb. The employee must be able to lift and/or move more than 150 pounds unassisted. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and fumes or airborne particles.
Because essential functions of the job may cause exposure to situations associated with general involvement in a health care service, including but not limited to exposure to AIDS, HIV, and Hepatitis viruses involving Risk Classification Categories 1, 2, and 3, **environmental and safety conditions will fluctuate. To be qualified for the position a person will have the ability to work in this type of environment, with or without reasonable accommodations, and without posing a direct threat to self or others.
**Universal Precautions Risk Classification Categories:
- Tasks may involve exposure to blood or body fluids.
- Tasks do not routinely involve contact with blood or body fluids, but could result in Category 1 exposure.
- Tasks do not involve any risk of exposure to blood and body fluids.
Must be able to pass:
A drug/nicotine screening
A background check
Valid Driver's License with a good driving record
Ohio Paramedic Certification
CPR (for Helathcare Provider)
PALS (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
Ability to pass GMVEMSC Protocol computer based test and skills test
How to Apply
Apply online at www.buckeyeambulance.com
Call 937 949-4282