Summary: The Public Safety Assistant I performs tasks which aid with the security and safety of persons and property within the parks, checks for and sells motor vehicle permits, etc., provides park information to park visitors and assists with traffic control.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Attends the entrance of an assigned park and sells motor vehicle permits and approved merchandise. Dispenses MetroParks facility and programming information to visitors. Conducts surveys and collects data as assigned.
- Makes correct change, reconciles cash on hand with unsold Motor Vehicle Permits and merchandise inventory at close of work shift, keeps accurate sales records and prepares deposits as instructed. Accurately operates cash registers and/or point of sale software and equipment as assigned. Follows organizational cash handling policies and Motor Vehicle Permit (MVP) sales guidelines.
- Performs light maintenance including, but are not limited to: litter pick up, landscape upkeep, cleaning and maintenance of park facilities and public areas at or near workstation. Assists with security, traffic, parking, and crowd control for special events and other programs as assigned.
- Reports emergencies, problems, safety issues, violations of park rules & regulations, and violations of state law in accordance with established procedures.
- Serves as a secure courier to facilitate the movement of interoffice documents between parks.
- Operates motor vehicles or other vehicles and equipment owned or leased by MetroParks. Operates all motor vehicles and other equipment used to facilitate assigned duties in a responsible and safe manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate, and to manage tasks.
• Ability to follow all policies in the MetroParks Personnel Manual, Employee Safety Manual, and Ranger Policy Manual. Follows instructions and orders of supervisors and Rangers. Follows all post orders, directives, and other instructions.
• Ability to effectively and appropriately deal with confidential information.
• Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document.
• Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records.
• Ability to meet and deal with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Acts as a good-will ambassador for the MetroParks at all times. Maintains a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members.
Required Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED; minimum of 18 years of age at the time of employment. Proficiency in basic mathematics. Previous sales experience is preferred for this position.
• Good character with no felony convictions, disqualifying misdemeanor convictions, or history of theft offenses.
• Possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment.
Work Environment & Schedule:
Employment in this position is part time and may require an irregular work schedule, including weekends and holidays, depending on the season of the year or as conditions warrant.
Physical effort usually requires considerable walking, standing, bending, twisting, pushing and pulling, with some lifting of materials weighing 25 to 50 pounds. Somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to exposure to high and low temperatures. Provides service for outdoor events. General good health and ability to perform physical labor and having the ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.
How to Apply
The required application can be found on the website: https://www.yourmetroparks.net/about/careers. Application must be submitted by 4:00 pm on January 8, 2021. It can be submitted to email@example.com; mailed or delivered to 2051 Timberman Road Hamilton, OH 45013 or faxed to (513)867-5835.