The City of Blue Ash seeks strong team-oriented applicants for a full-time Service Worker I position within the Public Works Department. The Service Worker I performs under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent.
This position operates trucks, light motor equipment and miscellaneous public works equipment; maintains streets, storm sewers, equipment, grounds and buildings; performs light and heavy manual labor; and other appropriate duties as assigned.
Make a diﬀerence in the community! As a Community Builder—an employee with the City of Blue Ash— you will have a direct hand in building and improving the community and making a visible impact on the lives of residents and patrons.
The City of Blue Ash offers a competitive beneﬁts package and opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. All ‘regular’ employees are eligible for traditional benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, paid leave, 12 paid holidays a year, a pension plan and a deferred compensation plan, but we also offer great things like free membership at the Recreation Center, discount golfing, discounts at City owned restaurants/concessions, and tuition reimbursement.
Employees in this class must be able to perform a variety of public works tasks, which at times require developed skills or training. The employee must exercise common sense and initiative, possess the ability to learn routine duties through repetitive experience; maintain a desire to serve the public and improve community appearance and facilities, possess the ability to follow instructions in carrying out assignments and possess sufficient physical strength and endurance to perform heavy manual labor under varying weather conditions. The Service Worker I performs under the direction and supervision of a supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Operates and maintains dump trucks, salt spreaders and snow plows;
- May operate and maintain backhoe, loader, tractor and other equipment;
- Operates brush chipper and leaf collector;
- Cleans gutters, culverts, sewers and other drainage structures;
- Perform storm sewer repairs and storm sewer installation.
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, salt, asphalt, timber and heavy and light equipment;
- Patches holes in streets and berms;
- Perform full and partial asphalt depth repairs
- Makes and installs signs;
- May operate and maintain air compressor, jack hammer and other miscellaneous public works equipment;
- Collects brush, leaves and litter;
- Performs routine maintenance and occasional construction of buildings, drainage structures and other public facilities;
- Perform all aspects of concrete work; (form, pour, and finish)
- Perform skilled labor construction projects.
- Attends safety meetings, training sessions and other departmental activities as required;
- Maintains city-owned grounds, cuts grass and performs other grounds maintenance and improvement work as required;
- Performs maintenance work on various types of equipment/vehicles;
- May perform routine clerical and dispatching support work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Familiarity with traffic laws and safety rules; ability to read and write; willingness to perform routine manual labor; ability to lift heavy articles; stamina; ability to understand and follow simple oral instructions; willingness to work for extended periods of time in all types of climatic conditions; dependability; desire and ability to exercise some initiative after learning routine tasks through repetitive performance; some mechanical ability and familiarity with tools and equipment; good health and physical condition.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Completion of a standard grade school course and preferably graduation from high school or attainment of a G.E.D.; some experience in performing heavy labor and maintenance and construction tasks; preferably some experience in the operation of motor equipment and the routine maintenance of automotive equipment; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Possession of a valid commercial A driver’s license (CDL), with tanker endorsement issued by the State of Ohio.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at www.BlueAsh.com. The City of Blue Ash is an EEO/ADA Employer.