The City of Blue Ash seeks strong team-oriented applicants for a Full-Time Service Worker I position within the Public Works Department. The Service Worker I performs under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent.
This position operates trucks, light motor equipment and miscellaneous public works equipment; maintains streets, storm sewers, equipment, grounds and buildings; performs light and heavy manual labor; and other appropriate duties as assigned.
This full-time position will enjoy paid training; contributions into the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System; free individual membership to the Blue Ash Recreation Center with eligibility for family members; and discounts at the Blue Ash Golf Course, Sandtrap Grill and Blue Ash Café.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Candidates must be able to perform a variety of public works tasks, which at times require developed skills or training. Must exercise common sense and initiative, possess the ability to learn routine duties through repetitive experience, maintain a desire to serve the public and improve community appearance and facilities, possess the ability to follow instructions in carrying out assignments and possess sufficient physical strength and endurance to perform heavy manual labor under varying weather conditions.
- Operates and maintains dump trucks, salt spreaders and snow plows;
- May operate and maintain backhoe, loader, tractor and other equipment;
- Operates brush chipper and leaf collector;
- May operate asphalt spreader box and roller;
- Cleans gutters, culverts, sewers and other drainage structures;
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, salt, asphalt, timber and heavy and light equipment;
- Patches holes in streets and berms;
- Makes and installs signs;
- May operate and maintain air compressor, jack hammer and other miscellaneous public works equipment;
- Collects brush and leaves;
- Performs routine maintenance and occasional construction of buildings, drainage structures and other public facilities;
- Attends safety meetings, training sessions and other departmental activities as required;
- Maintains city-owned grounds, cuts grass and performs other grounds maintenance and improvement work as required;
- Performs maintenance work on various types of equipment/vehicles;
- May perform routine clerical and dispatching support work as assigned.
Familiarity with traffic laws and safety rules; ability to read and write; willingness to perform routine manual labor; ability to lift heavy articles; stamina; ability to understand and follow simple oral instructions; willingness to work for extended periods of time in all types of climatic conditions; dependability; desire and ability to exercise some initiative after learning routine tasks through repetitive performance; some mechanical ability and familiarity with tools and equipment; good health and physical condition.
Must possess a valid commercial driver's license (CDL) minimum class A with Airbrakes and a Tanker endorsement or be able to obtain one in 90 days.
How to Apply
You may apply and view current openings by visiting our employment opportunities web page at www.BlueAsh.com.
The City of Blue Ash is an EEO/ADA Employer