Great opportunity for an experienced print production technician or someone with machinery background to join a cohesive team in West Chester, OH! The Press Set-Up Technician is responsible for mounting plates, pulling dies, making and staging inks, cleaning press parts and anilox, and assisting other press operators by setting up jobs on press as time allows. In addition, the press set-up technician is expected to run a flexo press, as needed, and to be able to fill in for breaks and time off.
This position will work Sunday - Tuesday plus 1 additional Saturday per month, from 6:00pm to 6:00am. Scheduling adjustments, overtime and occasional weekends may occur based on operational needs. Fortis provides full benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, 401k with match, profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and paid time off.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review daily schedule and gather required press plates, dies, doctor blades, and cylinders per the ticket specification. Verify the plate numbers match the job ticket.
- Utilize the press staging cart to stay one job ahead on each press. Items staged on the press staging cart include:
- The job jacket with job ticket.
- Press plates mounted on cylinders with print rods inserted (if applicable).
- Mag dies mounted to the mag cylinders.
- Assist the press operator by installing cylinders, doctor blades, and mag dies onto the press itself. Focus on ways to assist the press operator to set up the press as efficiently as possible.
- During the job run, assist press operator with troubleshooting any issues, to include dies, cleaning and remounting press plates, and refilling UVs and inks as necessary.
- Learn press operation to be able to fill in for breaks and time off.
- Communicate with the Ink Technician and Warehouse Material Handler as necessary to ensure the required ink and paper are provided during long job runs where ink or paper may run out.
- Communicate with Press Operator, Shift Supervisor, and/or Production Manager regarding any issues or problems with supplies. Keep plenty of supplies on hand. Utilize kanban systems as needed on high usage items.
- Maintain the work area and machines in a clean and orderly condition and follow prescribed policies and safety regulations.
- Additional duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years manufacturing experience, press or printing related production experience preferred.
- Strong mechanical inclination and attention to quality and detail
- At least 1 year experience running flexographic printing equipment, preferably Mark Andy machinery is preferred, but not required.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to read work tickets and interpret written information to provide the proper supplies to the press
- Ability to do basic math and measurements.
- Must be proactive and detail oriented to catch problems or inconsistencies and bring them to management’s attention.
- Be careful and respectful of high dollar press tooling.
- Good organization skills to manage multiple different labels each day.
- Should be mechanically inclined to grasp the basics of press setup and operation.
- Willing to attend required training courses or sessions related to the job as assigned.
- Lifting, standing, crouching, stair climbing with a load, and associated repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test and subject to random drug screening.
- Regular exposure to dust and noise in the production environment.
- Warehouse temperatures may be influenced by outside temperatures.
- Regular skin and clothing exposure to ink, UVs, varnishes, and detergents.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Safety toe shoes are required.
- Safety glasses may be required when completing specific job tasks.