This position is responsible for the operation of high pressure steam boilers, steam turbines, engines, electrical generators and complex auxiliary support equipment in an efficient and safe manner. Engineer is directly responsible for the reliable production of steam that provides the majority of the University with heat / hot water and indirectly with the production of chilled water for process cooling, refrigeration and air conditioning. This position is also directly responsible for the reliable generation of electricity that provides the University with peak power as well as emergency power in the event of regional power outages. Engineer remotely monitors operations and alarms of the South Refrigeration Plant, North Chiller Plant and the Geothermal Energy Plant and handles emergency situations.
- Responsible for the reliable, safe and efficient operation of the Central Power Plant. Operates up to four high pressure boilers, two engine generator sets, and a variety of complex support equipment utilizing various fuel sources simultaneously. Responsible for operating all equipment in a manner that is compliant with State of Ohio codes for a licensed Stationary Engineer.
- Oversee, monitor, and record systems and equipment status and condition. These functions are performed on-site at the Central Power Plant and remotely for the South Refrigeration Plant, North Chiller Plant and Geothermal Energy Plant. Monitoring may be performed by visual inspection or through the operation of multiple computers utilizing various SCADA software.
- Oversee the Electrical Generation Plant operation and follows predetermined generation operating plans and schedules.
- Supervise and assign tasks to staff as needed. Provide instruction and guidance to assist Specialists in the state licensing process.
- Work with and provide technical support for outside contractors working in or on the Central Power Plant.
- Manage a variety of emergency situations, possibly simultaneously, to prevent bodily injury or loss of campus heat, electric power, hot water, chilled water, plant or equipment integrity with minimal to no assistance or supervisory support.
- Troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment to determine and make necessary repairs and inform supervisor of the appropriate action(s) taken.
- Review and complete work orders pertaining to preventative maintenance, repair or system training on a variety of complex mechanical and electro-mechanical equipment in the Central Power Plant. Similar work may be performed on steam, hot water and chilled water distribution systems or in the South Refrigeration Plant, North Chiller Plant or Geothermal Energy Plant if deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
- Make recommendations to supervisor regarding improved operating methods and efficient procedures for a variety of equipment including but not limited to high pressure boilers, engine generator sets, and auxiliary equipment.
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.
Requires nine months training in high pressure steam plant operations, a 3rd Class Stationary Engineer's License, and three years of related experience. An equivalent combination may be substituted for education and experience requirements.
A valid driver's license is required.
How to Apply
Online at www.miamioh.edu/jobs