Job ID: 4753 - AFSCME - FT (hourly)
Position installs, maintains, repairs and troubleshoots domestic plumbing systems, chilled water, steam and condensate, fixtures, industrial kitchen equipment, and water treatment systems for a university campus consisting of approximately 200 buildings. Position’s primary purpose is to ensure that all plumbing systems and auxiliary equipment are in good working order and that any repairs are completed promptly and properly.
1. Customer Service Function – Provides assistance to internal and external customers promptly and courteously; maintains frequent communication with the customer concerning status of work requests; performs quality work consistent with manufacturer’s requirements and complies with all applicable codes; maintains a professional appearance and attitude
2. Utility Piping Function – Installs, maintains and repairs piping to include domestic water, gases, sanitary, steam, condensate, chilled water, and acid waste; piping may be on the interior or exterior of buildings
3. Industrial Kitchen Equipment Function – Installs, maintains and repairs kitchen equipment to include stoves, ovens, dishwashers, disposals, tray-veyors, steam kettles, and other relevant equipment
4. Building Plumbing Function – Installs, maintains and repairs chilled water, hot water and steam systems, traps, valves, piping, backflow preventers, general fixtures of all types
5. Water Treatment Function – Installs, maintains and repairs water treatment systems to include softeners, distillers, chemical feeders, and other specialty purification systems
6. Contractor Coordination & Oversight – Assists in coordinating the activity of service contractors and new installation contractors to ensure compliance with all plans, specifications, and applicable codes and standards
7. Tool Proficiency – Operates plumbing equipment to include pipe cutters, threaders, welding equipment, torches, mechanical tools, snakes, water jetters, and other relevant equipment; maintains tools in a clean and serviceable condition; reports broken or damaged items for repair or replacement
8. Additional Functions – Performs other building trades tasks in maintaining industrial equipment and in response to emergency situations and preventative maintenance as assigned.
Must be reasonably available after normal business hours, weekends, and holidays for on-site response to serious plumbing system malfunctions
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics:
Knowledge of the procedures and equipment and understanding of plumbing and other mechanical systems. Ability to maintain detailed and complete records of maintenance, repair, and testing activities. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons.
Frequent standing and walking with some climbing and lifting of materials weighing 50 to 75 pounds. Frequent operation of equipment. Somewhat unpleasant working conditions. Some exposure to several unpleasant elements which are particularly disagreeable. Some element of personal risk and exposure to accidents.
- OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.
Requires nine months training beyond high school in a skilled trade and two years of experience in that trade, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Driver's license required.
How to Apply