The Welder is responsible for using robotic and straight welders to build component parts to company specifications and customer expectations consistent with Bilstein’s quality and productivity standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a safe working environment by complying with all safety and environmental policies in the workplace. Advocates for and promotes a safe work environment by reporting Near Misses and/or other safety and environmental hazards, wearing all required PPE and encouraging others to do the same.
- Connects cables from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope, and pulse, as specified by Welding Engineer or Welding Technician.
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.
- Strikes (forms) arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece.
- Welds in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Applies filler rod manually to supply weld metal.
- Cleans or degreases weld joint or work piece.
- Identifies proper welds and makes repairs to broken or cracked parts.
- Identifies proper symmetry and makes adjustments to fixtures as needed.
- Prepares broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces.
- Chips off excess weld, slag, and spatter.
- Preheats work piece with hand torch or heating furnace.
- Positions and clamps work pieces together or assembles them in jig or fixture.
- Tacks assemblies together.
- Positions and secures tools in tool holders on turret and cross slide.
- Positions and secures work piece in chuck or to faceplate.
- Identifies discrepant materials/components both in writing and verbally to supervisor.
- Completes tasks as directed by manufacturing schedules and within standard times.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Demonstrated ability to identify incomplete weld penetrations and lack of fusion on welds.
• Possesses a stable work history, preferably in a manufacturing environment, and a strong personal desire to work safely and maintain a safe working environment
• Demonstrates a strong customer focus along with a great work ethic and willingness to do what needs to be done (without taking shortcuts)
• Demonstrated knowledge of basic math, including working with decimals, and strong mechanical aptitude
• Experience using basic hand tools and measuring devices such as calipers and to work with any/all specified tolerances. Experience reading a decimal chart and simple/complex drawings to verify product identification and requirements.
• Possesses a logical method of problem solving and willingness to learn and improve one’s skills. Demonstrates a strong commitment to meet and exceed customer requirements at all times
• Possesses good hand-eye coordination and is able to perform detailed work with a strong attention to detail and quality
• Position is required to be able to to work required overtime that can be substantial during peak customer production periods
• Position is required to be able to lift up to 40 pounds, perform repetitious duties and walk or stand for long periods of time on a daily basis
• Position is required to read and understand blue prints and work instructions
• Demonstrated reliability, good initiative, committed, and quality focused
• Highly organized with ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Exhibits integrity through fair and ethical behaviors in all activities; maintains accountability for performance.
• Strong attention to detail with well-developed organizational and communication skills.
• Proven experience developing work processes to improve outcomes for the team/customers.
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.
How to Apply