A qualified Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse administers skilled nursing care to patients on an intermittent basis in their place of residence. This is performed in accordance with physician orders and plan of care under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse. Services are furnished
in accordance with Agency policies.
1. Graduate of a state approved school of practical (vocational) nursing and currently licensed in
the state(s) in which practicing.
2. Minimum of one (1) year experience in nursing, preferred.
3. Acceptance of philosophy and goals of this Agency.
4. Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
1. Understands and adheres to established policies and procedures.
2. Implements the nursing care plan for each patient.
3. Provides nursing services, treatments and diagnostic and preventive procedures as assigned.
4. Initiates preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures as appropriate.
5. Observes signs and symptoms and reports to the physician and RN reactions to treatments,
including drugs and changes in the patient’s physical or emotional condition.
6. Teaches and counsels the patient and family/significant others regarding the nursing care
needs and other related problems of the patient at home.
7. Evaluates with registered nurse the effectiveness of the LPN’s/LVN’s nursing service to the
patient and family under the guidance of the registered nurse.
8. Maintains accurate and complete records of observations, treatments and care of patient.
9. Participates in medical record audit as assigned.
10. Attends staff meetings, patient care conferences and inservices as scheduled.
11. Takes on-call duty, nights, weekends and holidays as assigned.
12. Is responsible for:
· Submitting any changes in schedule to Director of Clinical Services/Nursing Supervisor on a
· Participating in patient care conferences to discuss the need for involvement of other members
of the health team, such as physical therapist or speech language pathologist.
13. Prepares clinical and progress notes.
14. Assists the physician and RN in performing specialized procedures.
15. Prepares equipment and materials for treatments.
16. Observes aseptic technique as required.
17. Assists the patient in learning appropriate self-care techniques.